High blood pressure is one of the major causes of almost 15% of deaths in the United States, according to a recent study. Although hypertension or High Blood pressure may not show any symptoms, it drastically increases the risks of other killer diseases such as heart attack, stroke, aneurysms, and kidney failure.
While medication can easily lower as well as control high blood pressure, it may cause side effects in some individuals resulting in leg cramps, dizziness, and insomnia.
Risk factors that can put people at risk for High Blood pressure:
- Family history
- Inactive lifestyles
- Diet high in sodium (salt)
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and cigarette
Luckily, most people can control their blood pressure naturally with some lifestyle changes and home remedies.
- Garlic: Garlic has gained popularity for its efficient use in lowering high blood pressure. This vegetable also has excellent blood thinning properties which makes it an amazing remedy for improving overall cardiovascular health. Garlic can be consumed raw or used as an add-on to daily dishes.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain beta-carotene, vitamin E, potassium, and powerful antioxidants — which are very effective in lowering the blood pressure. Tomatoes can be eaten raw, consumed as juice or used in preparing vegetables.
- Celery: Celery has excellent diuretic properties. Diuretics flush out excess water along with sodium from the body. This causes a decrease in blood pressure. You can eat celery as a salad or drink fresh celery juice to enjoy the benefits
- Pomegranates: This delicious fruit is full of health benefits. It has more antioxidants than berries or green tea. It helps in raising good cholesterol and lowering down blood pressure.
- Beets and Radish: Both beets and radishes are a rich source of nitrates, which are excellent at lowering high blood pressure, by improving vasodilatation process in the body. Beets and radishes can be consumed as salads.
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame contains omega-6s, PUFA, Vitamin E, and an active compound sesamin, which are great for lowering blood pressure and improving overall cardiovascular health. Sesame can be used as sesame oil or can be consumed as roasted seeds.
- Ginger: Ginger has been used for centuries in Chinese and Indian cultures for its amazing health benefits. Ginger is excellent for preventing heart ailments, such as lowering blood pressure, decreasing cholesterol levels, and preventing blood clots by thinning the blood.
- Carrots: Carrots are rich in Vitamin A, beta carotenes, antioxidants as well as an excellent source of electrolytes, potassium. Potassium is required for maintaining the fluid balance within the body as well as for normalizing the blood pressure.
- Cardamom: Cardamom is a very popular spice in Indian sub continent. It has been used since a long time in Herbal medicines. It causes vasodilatation allowing the blood to flow more easily through the veins, thus lowering blood pressure.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a natural blood thinner, thinner blood flows easily through the arteries and veins, thereby lowering the blood pressure. Turmeric can be consumed in the form of Turmeric tea or used as spices in the daily meal.